Janell M. Hickman is a freelance beauty editor who has written for Ebony, ELLE, Teen Vogue, Man Repeller, SELF, Gilt and currently, BET. Janell has a ton of great advice if you’d like to jump into the world of freelance beauty writing.
Today, we'll discuss:
- How Janell leveraged her network to build her career
- Why working with difficult people is a bonus to your career
- Why you should always accept criticism
- How to get started as a freelance beauty writer
- How to pitch editors
- The difference between a beauty editor and beauty writer
- Her preferred (minimal!) workout routine that keeps her body on point
- Her ride or die beauty staples
Listen to the episode here:
THANKS TO OUR AMAZING SPONSORS!
- Receive cash back when you shop at your favorite stores like Amazon, Target, Sephora and Ulta! Check out EBATES. (You get a $10 sign up bonus too!)
- Listen to your favorite books on AUDIBLE! Get a FREE audiobook download and 30 day free trial using my referral link.
- Sign up for Google's G Suite to get a professional custom email (you@yourcompa
ny.com), 30GB of cloud storage (bye Dropbox) and more! Use promo code 'W7JT9GLKQEL3XMD' to get 20% off your first year using my referral link.
Or consider a donation through PayPal to help cover monthly podcasting expenses. 😊
Follow me for beauty and skincare chatter on Twitter: @ErinBaynham
I'm a big fan of Instagram too: @ErinBaynham
Follow the podcast's Instagram account for beauty news, reviews and new episodes: @ScandalousBeauty
Email me: email@example.com
Don't miss these episodes:
View the entire archive here.